Monday, July 25, 2011

Depressed yet?

I finished the first draft of ABSINTHE AND LEPRECHAUNS. It's a fantasy/mystery, yet somehow by the end I was so emotionally invested in the characters that I waded through shards of glass to write the ending. Although, I would never compare myself to the greatness of Dean Koontz, the emotional turmoil I put myself through reminded me of my favorite of the thriller writer's books- INTENSITY. I won't give away any spoilers for my book or for his, but when I came to the end of INTENSITY, I lay in my bed crying over the brokenness of the characters even though the book ended in hope. I wondered how he was able to write that ending without slitting his wrists. That's hyperbole, of course, but if it was that difficult for me to read, how much more difficult would it have been to write?

Have any of you read, or better yet, written something that gave you a soul-ripping experience? Share it with me so we can depress the world with tragic writing.

3 comments:

  1. The one book I could think of that made me bawl like a baby was Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. By the end, I was very much emotionally invested in the characters that the event at the end just totally hit me HARD, and I couldn't stop crying. For a long while (to the mystified looks of horror from the hubster who didn't know what was wrong with me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. I love the differences between men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lanette!
    I just read this post--and I LOVE Dean Koontz. Yes, INTENSITY is awesome and so scary. I wish I could write something like that.
    Thanks for the congrats. If you ever want to contact me, my email is: laura_6eg(at)yahoo(dot)com
    -- Laura

    ReplyDelete